Marketing insurance is worthwhile, has marvelous extension potential, and is an excellent way to start one’s career or make much-needed development. If one doesn’t know how to become an insurance agent, this article can help.
To become Insurance Agent one must have a bright knowledge of Insurance and its market in India. Furthermore one will understand what is insurance and how to become an Insurance Agent.
What is Insurance?
Insurance is a means of security and protection from financial loss. It is a kind of risk management, originally used to hedge upon the risk of a contingent or random loss. An entity that gives insurance is recognized as an insurer.
Like Star Health & Allied Insurance Company Limited and SBI Health Insurance Company Limited insurance company and many more. An individual or entity who purchases insurance is known as an insured or Policyholder.
The insurance transaction includes the insured expecting a guaranteed and recognized a nearly small loss. In the form of payment to the insurer in trade for the insurer’s guarantee to pay the insured in the case of a covered loss. The loss can be or not be financial. But it needs to be reduced to financial terms. Normally includes something in which the insured has an insurable interest built by ownership and possession and many more. For carrying out the insurance selling we require insurance agents.
Types of products Insurance agent sell –
There are many types of insurance upright in the market. Now One has to choose which upright is most fitting. For one to trade the insurance products, these areas comprehending:
- Life insurance
- Auto insurance
- Income protection insurance
- Property insurance
- Burial insurance
- Surplus line insurance
- Business interruption insurance
- Travel insurance
People usually join specific upright, such as property and casualty insurance.
Presently, one can only be linked with 1 general insurance & 1 life insurance company. More, To perform for the exam, one needs to register with an insurance company. The company will provide one’s training and license. To become an insurance agent one must know what type of insurance he/she needs to market.
Must Read : Tax planning: Types & Objectives
Who is the insurance agent?
An Insurance Agent is a point of contact with an insurance company for all individuals. They help individuals with insurance products that are fully fit for them and to assemble all the required documentation and support policyholders during the term of the policy. One can become an Insurance Agent one of the companies i.e for a Life Insurance company or general Insurance company or become a composite Agent.
Types of insurance agents
There are many types of insurance agents.
- Internal Sales agent: An internal sales agent (in house agent) is usually an employee of the insurance carrier.
- Captive Sales agent: A captive sales agent is someone that works for one organization or company.
- Independent agent/broker: Independent agents/brokers are general contractors that have individual agreements with insurance companies to offer their products.
How to become an Insurance Agent?
Those who are interested in becoming insurance agents are expected to register online via IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority in India) portal. Registration needs some forms to be filled and uploaded and payment to be made online. After registration is made, the exam date and timing would be inferred to the applicant.
Even the IRDAI website also gives study materials for agents that help them to understand what exactly is included in becoming an insurance agent. The study materials are available in different languages such as English, Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Tamil, Bengali, Kannada, Malayalam, Telugu and Punjabi.
For many people, becoming an insurance agent can be a productive and stress-free job. It is likely to decide your working hours and work from home without being tied to a desk and a 9 to 5 job. Retired people, mothers staying at home and others looking to enhance their income can benefit from knowing how to become an insurance agent.
Benefits of becoming an insurance agent :
- Start Earning at the Age of 18
- Be Your Own Boss
- Creates a Stable Income and Control the Growth
- Flexible Work Timings
- Zero Investment Required
Eligibility criteria for becoming an insurance agent
When one has a fair knowledge of what is usually beneficial insurance upright. Then one has to know the basic terms these are as follows:
- One’s age needs to be 18 or above.
- Applier needs to be 12th passed:
- Urban area- 12 the pass
- Rural Areas – 10th pass
- Also, one requires to pass an exam administered by the IRDA -Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority.
- Every state requires a license for business insurance. An agent will need a divide license to market- life and health insurance, casualty or property insurance. To obtain the license, an agent needs clear pre-licensing courses and quality state examinations.
According to IRDAI guidelines, any individual who wants to become an insurance agent must fulfill the below-mentioned criteria:
An Insurance Agent/POS must have a bachelor’s degree (graduate). However, in some cases, someone who has passed out of school but has vital talent and experience in sales may also be able to become an agent. Therefore, being 12th pass is the least requirement for becoming an insurance agent. To get a license to sell insurance, an individual has to undergo a certain amount of training. The number of hours of training required depends upon the kind of insurance the individual intends to deal with.
Procedure to Become an Insurance Agent
- Simple Registration Process: To become an Insurance agent, you have to complete a simple registration form available on the website. You can submit the documents specified in the article.
- Online or Offline Training: Once you are done with the registration process, you will have to go for online or offline Training of 25 hours. Upon the finish of the training, you will be awarded a training certificate. The training includes all the phases of Insurance Business.
- Examination: Further, you will perform a Pre-Licensing Online exam conducted by IRDA and obtain at least – 17 out of 50 Marks. The questions in the examination will be of objective type.
- License: Upon passing the exam, you will be given a license by IRDA to work as an insurance agent. Then you will be appointed as an agent.
Documents required for becoming an insurance agent
One would require to address an Insurance company to become an Insurance Agent. Then apply in the designated format along with financing documents. Documents are :
- Identity proof-Aadhar card
- Address proof
- PAN CARD copy
- Some copies of one’s photograph
- Highest education certificate
After this documentation completion, then apply. One will have to know about online training. Once its clear one obtains certified to grow as an Agent. It takes nearly 60 days from the time one enroll to become an Agent.
Read About: Know your PAN
Insurance Agent Salary & Job Growth
Sales workers or employees of any insurance agency or insurance carrier may be paid either of 3 ways: salary, salary plus bonus or salary plus commission.
Typically, the commission is the most basic type of reward for experienced agents. The commission amount depends on the type of insurance and risk covered in the policy and whether the transaction is done is new or renewal of the policy.
On the other hand, the bonus is normally awarded either when an agency meets its targeted profit or particular agent meets targeted sales.
Roles and Responsibilities of Insurance Agent
- The insurance agent assists in advertising and sale of insurance products and services to its customers.
- He/ she must have all knowledge and customary awareness about the markets.
- Providing reliable financial consulting services and customer support to the clients.
- Business Development tactics necessitate being tracked in a determined way.
- Well-planned policies and plans require to be attained.
- The promotion of insurance brands requires to have fully illustrated plans.
- Marketing strategies need to be formed and re-formed from time to time. Also, having in mind the customer choices.
- Public-relations structure-activity must be presented to have vital importance.
Licensing for Insurance Agent
To become Insurance Agent in India, a candidate should pass IRDAI IC 38 pre-recruitment qualification exam. To become General Insurance Agent in India, a candidate should pass the IRDA IC 38 Exam. On behalf of IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India), Agent pre-recruitment exam is carried by institutes sanctioned by the regulator.
You must enroll yourself with the insurance company you like to be associated with. Only through that insurer, you will be able to appear for the examination. You should complete 50 hours of training from an IRDAI approved training institution to act as a Life Insurance agent. If you are seeking a license for the first time to act as a composite insurance agent, you will have to take 75 hours of training. The exam takes place online. Once you submit the answers to the multiple-choice questions, you will immediately get the result. The insurance license issued to you will stay valid for three years.
IRDA examination fees
- IRDA Exam fee is Rs.200 for each entry form
- Required fees and two photos are to be submitted.
How to prepare for Practical Training
If the applicant is asking the license for the 1st time, He or she must undergo 100/50hrs training in an IRDA certified institution. Following take the Pre-Licensing test to qualify for appealing for an Agency License.
One can get IC 38 Study material for Agents on clicking the link: http://www.irdaonline.org/
Code of Conduct for Insurance Agent
All Insurance agent having license need to stick to the code of conduct specified here:
- All insurance agent must :
- An insurance agent must represent his/her insurance company. Also, introduce himself/herself.
- Display the license whenever ask for.
- All insurance agent must not:
- Never trade insurance without holding a legitimate license.
- Do not misguide the candidate’s overall insurance services.
Tips to become a successful Insurance Agent
To become an Insurance agent, and get success in the insurance files. One need to modify themselves from others to do so one wants to retain the following things in mind:
- Work on good salesmanship
Even though insurance agents are giving a service to customers and clients, they are salespeople by kind. Being agents earn strong sales skills and learn the method of acquiring, training, and keeping quality customers. This might need visiting seminars or experiencing a professional training program in sales.
- Produce a Powerful Work Ethic
The insurance industry is competing and one may be running individually for a big portion of the day. One needs to acquire a great work ethic to be proactive when attempting out new customers. Also, closing sales and growing relationships with clients and business experts. Prioritizing one’s time and keep a great work ethic will take one far throughout their career.
- Determine your market
One needs a plan to target the best candidates and try out new customers in the top markets. Take the time to analyze the market and generate a strategy so one is obtaining the greatest use of their time. Whether one is out on a sales call or managing a presentation to potential customers. One requires a wide understanding of their customer’s requirements. Who is the market to trade insurance? and many more questions like this.
Do follow the tips mentioned above to become the Insurance Agent
Nowadays, all respective insurance companies have strong recruitment plans. It includes a step-by-step method originating from screening, supported by extensive in-house practice and IRDAI exam. Once a person clears the exam, he/she become an official insurance advisor. For becoming an insurance distributor do visit our website.
In case you want to explore investment options. We recommend that you take guidance from professionals. Log into the WealthBucket. We make investing clear and beneficial. Also, simply manage your hard-earned money. Out of the various services on offer, a few are Equity Mutual Funds, Debt Mutual Funds, Income Funds, etc.
Call now at +91 8750005655. Email your queries and doubts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
· Age – 18 years & above
· Minimum Qualification – Passed 12th standard or an equivalent examination conducted by a recognized board or institution
· Minimum Qualification – Passed 10th standard or equivalent from a recognized board or institution if the applicant resides in a place with a population of less than 5,000.